humor: oct 29 -- HunGRY? Don't be anGRY!

                              Nick's G-Rated Humor List

 -GRY -GRY -GRY -GRY -GRY

	wow -- I never
	knew all this!

 -GRY -GRY -GRY -GRY -GRY

=============
James Polley suggests a look at the web site
http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/topics/grypuzzle.htm
Thanks, James -- I haven't looked there yet ----

=================
Maurice Boardman sends the idea that perhaps the puzzle was posed by a
Hittite with an Oriental accent, and the third word is... UGRY.  Let's not
dignify that one with a comment!  :-)

=================
RUSSELL_MITCHELL replies succinctly --- Lauren M.,
You have been cheated by a bad riddle.
The riddle should read something like:

"Two words 'hungry' and 'angry' end in -gry. There are three words
in the English language. The third word is one everyone knows and
uses everyday. Name the third word."

Actually, there are many obscure words that end in -gry.
The riddle's answer has nothing to do with these words.
If you ignore the first sentence, you find that, indeed,
there are three words in "the English language." The third
word is language which we use daily and all know and [use].

	Lisa & Scott Walter send essentially the same answer
	explaining it in more detail.  They insist that the
	wording of the original riddle -- which is over 20
	years old -- has been garbled over time, leading to
	its near 'urban legend' status.

John LeProhon teases Lauren with :
In Arkansas there are a few of other words ending in "gry".
For instance:
Agry  as in, "I agry, you are gittin' fat."
Degry as in, "If the weather will cool down a
degry or two I wouldn't sweat so much."
Piggry as in, "At Thanksgiving we see who
can be more piggry than the other."

The truth is there are at least three other "real" words ending in "gry".
Aggry, a glass bead found buried in the earth in Ghana.
Puggry, a light scarf wound around a hat or helmet
to protect the head from the sun.
Meagry, of meager appearance.

Lauren M. was had by the riddle.  The answer has
nothing whatsoever to do with words ending in "gry".
Dissect the riddle carefully ..........

=====================================
From: Jenny Power
Subject: response to word riddle

There are a few English words that end in -gry,
including but not limited to the following words in our dictionary:

angry <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=angry>
hungry <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=hungry>
aggry <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=aggry>
gry <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=gry>
puggry <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=puggry>

There are several more you can find in the Oxford English Dictionary
<http://www.dictionary.com/bookstore/oed.html>, dialect dictionaries,
gazetteers <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=gazetteer> and
onomasticons <http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=onomasticon>,
but none of them are common.
				A English fanatic, Jenny

===========================

Jennifer Morrison sends an essay she found
but it does not have the author's name attached.

This Riddle Isn't Letter-Perfect

They're ba-a-a-a-ck -- the readers and listeners who write or e-mail or
call or stop me on the street to ask: "There are three words in the English
language that end in g-r-y. Two of them are angry and hungry. What is the
third?"

The greatest service I can perform for the American people is to announce
here that the -gry question is one of the most outrageous and time-wasting
linguistic hoaxes in our nation's history. The poser slithered onto the
American scene in 1975 on the Bob Grant radio talk show on WMCA in New York
City. I've tried to bury -gry before, but it keeps rising, like some angry,
hungry monstrosity from Tales From the Crypt.

The answer to the infernal question is that there is no answer, at least no
satisfactory answer. I advise anybody who happens on the angry+hungry+?
poser to stop burning time and to move on to a more productive activity,
like counting the number of angels on the head of a pin or the decreases in
our property taxes.

There are at least 50 -gry words in addition to angry and hungry, and every
one of them is either a variant spelling, as in augry for augury, begry for
beggary and bewgry for buggery, or ridiculously obscure, as in anhungry, an
obsolete synonym for hungry; aggry, a kind of variegated glass bead much in
use in the Gold Coast of West Africa; puggry, a Hindu scarf wrapped around
the helmet or hat and trailing down the back to keep the hot sun off one's
neck; or gry, a medieval unit of measurement equaling one-tenth of a line.

	[balance of essay deleted by Nick]