humor: oct 12 -- H6KKK and kids

                              Nick's G-Rated Humor List

//////////////////////////
Thanks to "The Funnies"  /////////////////////////////
   http://www.egroups.com/list/andychaps_the-funnies/
To get on their list, send a blank email to:
andychaps_the-funnies-subscribe@egroups.com

A brief meditation on October 12, 1999.
It's not intended to be funny.  Just
something to think about.     Nick

Y2K?  We know about that.  H6KKK was born today, they say.  The powers that
be (or claim to be) have declared that human number six billion was born
today.  This certainly could be true.  If not, the guess is only off by a
week or so,  OK, maybe a month or so.

I can remember when the earth's population was described as 5.5 billion.
As of today it's 6 billion, more or less.  Actually, that's more.  A news
report reminded me that it the earth's population was 3 billion back in
1960.  So that means including wars and famines and everything, the number
of people on this planet doubled in just under 30 years.

If the growth rate continues at this just-over-2% annual increase,
then in 2030 we can expect to have TWELVE BILLION on this planet.
And may of you will live to see this --- if you call that living!

=================================  (RERUN)

Definitions from kids:

One horsepower is the amount of energy it takes
to drag a horse 500 feet in one second.

You can listen to thunder after lightening and tell how close you came to
getting hit. If you don't hear it you got hit, so never mind.

When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with
atoms. But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with
explosions.

When people run around and around in circles we say they
are crazy. When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

Most books now say our sun is a star. But it still knows how
to change back into a sun in the daytime.

A vibration is a motion that cannot make up its mind which
way it wants to go.

Many dead animals of the past changed to fossils, others
preferred to be oil.

Vacuums are nothings. We only mention them to let them
know we know they're there.

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun.
But I have never been able to make out the numbers.

We say the cause of perfume disappearing is evaporation. Evaporation
gets blamed for a lot of things people forget to put the top on.

I am not sure how clouds get formed.
But the clouds know how to do it,
and that is the important thing.

Cyanide is so poisonous that one drop of it
on a dog's tongue will kill the strongest man.

Thunder is a rich source of loudness.

Isotherms and isobars are even more
important than their names sound.

It is so hot in some parts of the world
that the people there have to live other places.

A man is driving with his wife at his side
and his mother-in-law in the backseat.
The women don't leave him alone.  His
mother-in-law says, "You're  driving too fast!"

His wife says, "Stay more to the left."

After ten mixed orders, the man turns to his wife
and asks, "Who's driving  this car - you or your mother?"