humor: nov 17 -- November by the Decade

                              Nick's G-Rated Humor List

>>>>>>> 60 YEARS AGO -- November 1939

...Six were killed and 60 injured when a bomb that was intended to kill
German Chancellor Adof Hitler exploded in a Munich beer hall.  Hitler had
left the building a mere 15 minutes earlier.

...The Rockefeller Center in New York City opened for business after eight
years of contruction, composed of the RCA building surrounded by eight
smaller skyscrapers.

...The Ozzie Nelson Orchestra was headlining the Brooklyn Flatbush Theatre.

...Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland received raves for their humorous
impressions of Mr. and Mrs. Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the movie "Babes
in Arms."

...The stage/screen show at the New York Capitol Theatre featured the movie
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon starring John Wayne and Joanne Dru and the live
act of Dick Contimo, billed as "The Rudolph Vantino of the Accordion".

...Charles Van Doren confessed before Congress that he had been given TV
quiz show answers in advance.  He had won $129,000.

...There were anti-U.S. riots in Panama over the U.S. control of the Canal
Zone.

...Nick Brown is about to celebrate the first Christmas with his new baby
brother.

...John Lennon rejected the Order of the British Empire award as a protest
of the United Kingdom's support of the Vietnam War.

..."What do you call a man in New York who gives a lady a seat on the bus?
An out-of-towner." --- Woody Allen

...Nick Brown graduates from college.

...NBC-TV is courting Alan Alda to become the host of The Today Show.

...U.S.Steel announces the closure of 15 plants in 8 states, putting 13,000
employees out of work.

...What movie star and former Governor of California announced his
candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination?

...Nick Brown prepares for his final Christmas season managing a San Diego
Bookstore, not knowing that his career as a college physics teacher was
about to take off.

... Nick receives the following items:

Hanging in the hallway at Whites High School in Wabash, Ind., are the
basketball team pictures from the past 40 years. A player in the center of
the front row in each picture holds a basketball identifying the year --
"62-63," "63-64," "64-65," etc. One day I spotted a freshman looking
curiously at the photos. Turning to me, he said, "Isn't it strange how the
teams always lost by one point?"
                        --Contributed by Philip G. Sheets

A new forestry graduate receives his first 5-year posting way out in the
middle of a huge forest with no people around for miles. Included in the
survival gear that they give him, much to his surprise, is a recipe for
matzah balls.  When he asks why he's receiving a matzah ball recipe, he is
told,  "Sometime, a few years down the road when the solitude *really*
starts to get to you, you're going to remember your matzah ball recipe.
You're going to get it out and start making some and before you know it
you're going to have ten Jewish women looking over your shoulder saying,
'That's not the correct way to make matzah balls."

At a recent computer software engineering course, the participants were
given an awkward question to answer: "If you had just boarded an airliner
and discovered that your team of programmers had been responsible for the
flight control software, how many of you would disembark immediately?"
Among the ensuing forest of raised hands only one man sat motionless. When
asked what he would do, he replied that he would be quite  content to stay
aboard.  With his team's software, he said, the plane was unlikely to
even taxi as far as the runway, let alone take off.

====================

>From Groaners ---
	Is it true that the first
	mythological Greek building demolition
	effort was known as "Edifice Wrecks"?

>From a song by Tom Lehrer ---
	Now here's a story about Oedipus Rex,
	A man who had a very odd complex:
	His name is found in Freud's index,
	'Cause he ... loved his Mother ...

>> Nick hopes that you find the allusion
>> to Oedipus to be classical (if not classy).
>> No recommendation of Oedipus's lifestyle --
>> real or legendary -- is intended.

===========

HOW MANY STATES?
Ron B. writes that he looked for 50 states but only found 46.  He
continues, "There are four (4) additional land masses that many refer to as
states but actually are Commonwealths.  They are KY, VA, PA, and MA."

Thanks for writing, Ron.
Hmmm, that's MA, right?
And not ME or MO?
MY MY!

HOW MANY LUG NUTS?
PandJ reply to "How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?
"Five? Not any more. Guess you don't have a Honda."

By visiting The Hunger Site at
http://www.thehungersite.com/index.html
you can help relieve world hunger!
One "button click" will cause corporations
to increase their donations of staple foods
to the United Nations World Food Program.