humor: nov 22 -- O Turkey (a poem)

                              Nick's G-Rated Humor List

A Thanksgiving Poem
	adapted by Nick Brown
	from a "Meatballs", a poem
	by Garrison Keillor (c)1982

O turkey, lovely turkey, that wafts its smell our way!
Another golden turkey on this Thanksgiving Day
Adorns a serving platter upon a walnut stand.
We thank Thee for this bounty from Thine and Grandma's hand.

O lovely mashed potatoes near which the turkey floats
On great brown lakes of gravy poured from the gravy boats.
It speaks to us of richness, of blessing and good cheer.
When spoken to by turkey, I love the words I hear.

O spinach, peas, and onions, O beets, beet greens, and chard,
Fresh from Grandma's garden beyond the cool green yard.
Pools of green lie steaming in pale blue china bowls
Around a silver wedding vase of yellow marigolds.

O lovely sweet cream butter, O lovely bread we break
That Grandma made this morning before I was awake.
No recipe, no measure. but made with love and care.
The smell of yeast and flour still lingers in the air.

Oh, cousins, aunts, and uncles, who shares this earthly store,
Gathered round this table in nineteen sixty four.
Eyes closed and hands are folded as Grandpa says the grace.
Mine alone are open, I look in every face.

I see your lovely faces, together on that day
Passing into darkness, the voices fade away.
I close my eyes to hold you, to bring you back to me.
Passing, slowly passing into a memory.

Another fine Thanksgiving, another table set.
Children take the places of folk they never met.
A little boy is sitting in Grandma's old oak chair.
I feel his eyes upon me as I now say the prayer.

At this Thanksgiving table, time is passing by.
Child, I know you see it in our faces.  So do I.
But thank the Lord for giving us this holiday again.
And now, please pass the turkey.
Let's eat.
Amen.