humor: sep 08 -- More Beanies and Things

And now for a
"SECRET MESSAGE"
to Keith in Tasmania:
Thank-you, Keith! :-)
Ditto to Lovisa in Brockton.

I am still playing with color email messages.
The long horizontal lines and the line below them are in red.
The two additional verses to The Thing are in blue italics.
-- Nick

If your last name begins with "C" or "D"
and you have trouble reading this enlarged
red-colored sentence, please let me know.

And before more of the "Beany and Cecil" stuff,
how about a few jokes? :-)

-------

Clarissa writes ....
Here's a combination of pun and nostalgia (and it really happened!):

I was watching a re-run of the old seventies TV show "Hawaii Five-O."
My fifteen-year-old smart-aleck - uh, I mean - son happened to wander
into the room just as Steve McGarrett's sinister Chinese nemesis came
on the screen.
"Who's that?" asked my son.
"Wo Fat."
"Awfully high in sugar, though."

---------

Senior Meditation

I've had two bypass surgeries,
hip replacement and new knees.
I've fought prostate cancer and diabetes.

I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine,
take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and
subject to blackouts.

I have bouts with dementia. I have poor circulation,
and hardly feel my hands and feet anymore.
But thank God, I still have my Florida driver's license!

-------------

Liberal Arts Major...Will Think For Money

Growing Old is Inevitable; Growing Up is Optional

IRS -- Be Audit You Can Be

Gravity...It's Not Just a Good Idea. It's the Law.

If You Want Breakfast In Bed, Sleep In the Kitchen

The Old Pro...Often Wrong...Never In Doubt

If At First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Isn't For You

Old Age Comes at a Bad Time

In America, Anyone Can Be President.
That's One of the Risks You Take.

First Things First, but not necessarily in that order.

-------------------

My own cyber-guru Tim sends this along:

Proof technique #2: Proof by Oddity.

SAMPLE: To prove that horses have an infinite number of legs.
(1) Horses have an even number of legs.
(2) They have two legs in back and fore legs in front.
(3) This makes a total of six legs, which certainly is
an odd number of legs for a horse.
(4) But the only number that is both odd and even is infinity.
(5) Therefore, horses must have an infinite number of legs.

Other methods include proof by:
Mutual consent
Lack of a counterexample, and
"It stands to reason"
Changing all the 2's to n's
Gesticulation (handwaving)
Intimidation
"Try it; it works"
Blatant assertion

Now it's Time for Beany!
========================

Subscriber Christine writes from Indiana ---

I know I'm getting into this discussion late, but I was away for a few days. I SO enjoyed the age barometer, and following discussions about Beany & Cecil. Do you remember the "Beanycopter?" I am embarrassed to say I once owned one. Beany - in the cartoon -- wore a little beanie with a propeller on it. In the cartoon he would use it to fly wherever he wanted.
A "Beanycopter" was one of the first toys that I remember marketed from a cartoon. It was a beanie (what else) with a small plastic propeller on top. When you wound up the propeller and pulled the under-chin string, the propeller would fly off. After these were sold the words "come on kids let's flip our lids" was added to the opening song, with a cartoon of lots of children launching their Beanycopters. Wonder what a Beanycopter's worth these days...

G.M.M who identifies himself as a D.M.D., writes ....

That song [The Thing] was recorded earlier in the 1930's
by Phil Harris. I listened to it as a young boy on 78 rpm
record. I think I have it in my collection of 78's now.

Subscriber and fellow barbershop chorus singer Glen G writes:

I spent many a happy 15 minutes watching the live Time for Beany show, at supper time. I never did dig the cartoon. But Beany, Uncle Captain, Cecil, DJ and my two favorites, "Sign-a-long, the Dotted Lion" and his brother "Tear-a-long".
This famous group [the creative puppeteers] started the long relationship of Stan and his buddy Daws Butler.
As to the Thing, Phil Harris had the big hit in the early 50's. You are missing two verses, and off the top of my head I can only partially fill it in.

The third verse went something like......
I'll take most anything, I am a desparate man,
but when I showed him the boomboom boom,
he turned around and ran

The next to last verse was ......
I wandered through my life, a victim of my fate
Until I found myself at St Peters gate
But when I tried to take it inside
He hollered with a NO!
Get out of here with that boomboom boom
and take it down below!

NOSTALGIA QUERIES

G. Gipson writes:
Does anyone remember Crabby Appleton?
(He was rotten to the core.) I remember
the character, but not what show he was on.
G.G.
Nick Brown (that's me!) writes:
Does anyone remember the Crusader Rabbit cartoons?
His sidekick was Rags the Tiger. They lived in Galahad Glen,
I think. I don't remember any plots or other characters.
But I sure would love to see a few of those B/W cartoons again.

"Julie" asks ...
Nick- Have you ever heard of a funny little song about a donut shop-- part of it is "she looked at the money and she looked at me, she said this money is no good to me, there's a hole in the middle and it's all the way through...... there's a hole in your donut too. My father used to sing it- and I can't remember the rest- I would love to have the words again!