[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[humorix] Microsoft to Acquire Slashdot?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [humorix] Microsoft to Acquire Slashdot?
- From: James Baughn <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:04:34 -0500
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing-List: contact email@example.com
- Organization: I Want a Website -- http://i-want-a-website.com
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org (GENE DAY)
Microsoft to Acquire Slashdot?
REDMOND, WA (InfoPlanet, August 14, 1998) -- An anonymous
source tells InfoPlanet that a Microsoft acquisition of the
"News for Nerds" Slashdot.org website is possible in the
near future. The source notes, "Microsoft controls most
major media outlets. But it doesn't control Slashdot,
which is fast becoming an alternative news site. Bill
doesn't like alternatives."
The source adds, "Slashdot will become part of the
Microsoft Network and will be renamed Microdot: 'News for
Serfs. Stuff that Matters to Bill." Another anonymous
source suggests that Microsoft may be interested in
acquiring other prominent websites that focus on
non-Microsoft software. "Linux.org and freshmeat.net could
be targets for Microsoft assimilation," the source
Some industry analysts are skeptical. "Slashdot, running
on Linux, has enough trouble keeping up with demand. If
Microsoft were to move it to MSN, running Windows NT, the
site would never be accessible. People would start calling
Microsoft was unavailable for comment at press time. We
didn't expect them to be.
James S. Baughn
List Site: http://www.findmail.com/list/humorix/
To unsubscribe, send to email@example.com
FREE group e-mail lists at http://www.findmail.com