[humorix] Microsoft Simulator 1.0 Released

Microsoft Simulator 1.0 Released
August 4, 1998

MicroBashers, a group of Linux hackers, has created its
first Linux game, Microsoft Simulator.  "It's the best game
ever written for Linux," one MicroBasher brags.  "Surely
this game will entice millions of Windoze users to switch
to Linux."

Well, maybe not, but MSSIM is still a cool game.  The game
comes in several versions, including a console version
(using SVGALib), an X version, and a Java version.  MSSIM
lets ordinary Linux users play the part of Bill Gates (or
another Microsoft corporate weasel) and make day-to-day
decisions regarding the software monopoly.  Players can
initiate hostile takeovers, announce vaporware products,
steal ideas from rivals ("innovate"), insert code in
Microsoft programs to render competitors' software
unusable, hire good employees from rivals, and more.
There's even an interactive Senate Hearing Mode where you
present arguments defending Microsoft while Orrin Hatch,
Ralph Nader, Janet Reno, and others attack you.

MSSIM is released under the GPL.  "We plan on selling a
MSSIM Deluxe game in the coming months for $19.95," a
MicroBasher noted.  "MSSIM was actually not our original
idea," the MicroBasher head programmer explains. "We found
an old QuickBASIC version (how ironic!) sitting in an old
software archive.  It had the source code, which we were
able to easily convert to C.  We added a few improvements,
and this is the final result. We're very happy about this."

Microsoft was unavailable for comment, as usual.  There is
some speculation that Microsoft plans to file a lawsuit
against MicroBashers for, in the words of an anonymous
source, "Distributing a game critcal of Microsoft on the
Internet, something Microsoft 'invented'."

---

James S. Baughn
http://i-want-a-website.com/about-linux

----